Thrust Area - 1 : Improving Sports facilities.
- Sports Infrastructure facilities improved.
- Sports equipment facilities provided.
Thrust Area - 2 : Encourage people to participate continuously in sports and physical fitness activity.
- Strengthened participation of public in sports activities.
Thrust Area - 3 : Provide opportunities to improve sports skills for the participants.
- Talented athletes produced.
Thrust Area - 4 : Create more opportunities for participation in regional, national and international competitions
- Most outstanding sports persons produced.
Thrust Area - 5 : Institutional development and governance
- Upgraded skills of sports officers for higher performance.
- Improved capacity of the department.
Department of Sports, Eastern Province conducted Eastern Provincial Sports Festival - 2018 in Batticaloa to move forward to the next and final stage of 44th National Sports Festival - 2018. The Basketball, Cricket and Beach Volleyball for both the men and women were the main games in this sports festival.
Batticaloa District emerged champions in both the men and women Basketball game in competition among 3 inter-Districts. They beat Trincomalee District in the finals played at Herbert Stadium, St-Michal Collage, Batticaloa on 21st April 2018.