Thrust Area - 1 : Providing quality and reliable indigenous health care services.
- Improved indigenous curative health care services.
- Improved indigenous preventive health care services.
- Established integrated hospitals (western & ayurveda).
- Improved health education system.
Thrust Area - 2 : Promote ayurveda medical tourism.
- Improved special treatment units.
- Conserved and developed commercial herbal plantation with participation of private farmers.
- Provided foreign trainings to Ayurveda MOs with sponsorship of foreign private companies.
Thrust Area - 3 : Promote self sufficiency in herbal medicines and commercialization.
- Established herbal gardens in each indigenous medical institution.
- Established large scale Herbal garden in each district.
- Established drugs sales outlets in each district.
Thrust Area - 4 : Conservation, strengthening and promotion of accepted traditional medical practices.
- Obtained services of special traditional physicians.
- Printed traditional manuscript books /CDs.
- Provided equipment to be used for traditional treatment.
Thrust Area - 5 : Institutional development and governance.
- Provided training on capacity development for staff.
- Improved office system.
- Established online data updating system in Indigenous hospitals.
The of Department of Indigenous Medicine has arranged a “Vesak Dansala” on 01.05.2018 at front of Eastern Provincial Council. Traditional value of Herbal drinks such as welimal and Iramusu osupan (Dansala) given to public.
The New Central Ayurveda Dispensary value Rs.5.3 Million opened By Honourable Governor Rohitha Bogalagma in Vanela on 28.03.2018.
On this function, The Secretory of Health and Indigenous Medicine Mr.A.H.M.Ansar, The Commissioner Dr(Mrs) R.Srithar Department of Indigenous Medicine , Eastern Province Medical Officers, staffs from and Public also Participated in this Ceremony.
The first International Conference and Exhibition on siddha medicine (The Sidda Expo - 2018) was held at the Siddha Medicine Unit of Jaffna University in Kaithady from 23rd to 27th February 2018.
The event was organised in collaboration with the Northern Province Indigenous Medicine Department and the Indian Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) Ministry.
At this program, a stall opened by the Department of Indigenous Medicine, EPC to exhibit several new variety of medicines manufactured by Indigenous Drug Manufacturing Unit, Eastern province and Base Siddha Ayurveda Hospital, Trincomalee.